INSIDE OUT. Skin covers approximately 18 square feet of a body. It’s our largest organ and our first line of defense when it comes to fighting off disease, infection and the toxic build up that comes at us from all directions in the outside world.
Our skin also works from the inside out to rid our body of impurities.
Keeping your skin clean and your pores clear on the outside not only rids the epidermal layer of pathogens that colonize there but it also allows the body to expel waste from the inside out.
Today's take-away: Healthy skin comes from proper skin care, inside and out. Here are some key rules to follow
- Know your skin. If you can’t figure it out, ask some one who can
- Use products that work well with your skin and do not contain harmful ingredients. Choose products you can trust. What’s in your cleanser, toner, and moisturizer? Can you pronounce it? If not, then you might not want to put it on your skin
- Make sure to have regular facials, especially when seasons change
- Eat the right things - Here are some autumn fruits and vegetables that you can eat for optimum skin health: Apple, Beetroot, Carrot, Lemon, Pumpkin seeds [packed with zinc which is vital to the creation of new skin cells and helps to control oil production], Sweet potato, and Tomato
- Check with your doctor or nutritionist and ask if adding a supplement is right for you. Biotin [B7] is a co-enzyme that plays a key role in maintaining healthy hair, nails and skin. It keeps us looking young and is often added to beauty products… but that’s a bit of a gimmick because Biotin is not effectively absorbed through the skin. It’s better to consume foods in which Biotin can be found such as eggs, avocados, cauliflower, berries, fish, legumes, mushrooms and …organ meats [Go on, be brave].
LET'S FACE IT. Summer is over and we’ve changed swimsuits for sweaters. September is a month where we add layers of long sleeves and evening wraps but it's also a month to take off some layers - the layers of summer. Sun, sweat, make up, sunscreen and chlorine all build up a thick layer of summer fun on your skin. No matter how fun summer was, it’s time to come clean. Clear it all away, scrub off those layers. As part of healthy skin care, make time for yourself and book an appointment for a facial. I check in with Patti Davidson at Faces for a deep-cleansing and exfoliating Decleor facial.
HAPPY FACES – The Lyme Juice Company is adding a new juice this week to aid good skin health and create a glowing autumn for your largest organ - your skin. HAPPY FACES will be made from organic beets, carrots, lemons, apple, and spinach. Come on over and show us your HAPPY FACES at The Lyme Farmer’s Market - Saturdays from 9-12:30 until October.